PMP Exam Advice

Good Evening from Va Beach!! I don't see a lot of posted LL on folks that failed on their PMP exam, but I wanted to take this opportunity to thank those that did share experiences/lessons learned on passing because it helped me out TREMENDOUSLY.Today, January 31, 2009, I am officially a PMP. But it was a struggle. I commend those that were able to pass on the first try because it wasn't a nice feeling to have to fork up another $275 to re-take the test.

Here's my story:

I took the PMP exam for the 1st time on Jan. 4, 09 with the confidence that I was going to pass. I mean gosh, i've been in the profession for 5 years now and work in a PMO. I was devastated when I took the test and saw the screen and the words popped up "I'm sorry, but you FAILED"! I was devastated and didn't even want to go home. But on the way home, I spoke to my co-worker who had just passed the week prior, and I was do down on myself, but she was so encouraging. She convinced me that I was just "auditing" the test. Just hearing that made me feel better.

For the first attempt, we had a study group put together and read and reviewed Rita's book -
1 chapter every week and discussed the questions at the end of each chapter
That was IT!! Didn't review the PMBOK at ALL!

So because my friend talked me into thinking I was just auditing the test, I took the print out that they gave me and focused on the weak areas that I scored "BELOW PROFICIENT", which were Professional Responsibility, Monitoring and Controlling, Closing, and I think Planning.

Here is my approach to studying for the 2nd Attempt (3 rigorous weeks, didn't want to take too long before taking the exam again)
------------------

PMBOK - ITTO - I got a lot of TT questions the first time
Rita book again - Procurement Chapter was what I found the most useful
Headfirst PMP book - its a great way to study if you don't like the Rita book
Kim Heldman's study guide - I personally liked her book
Any Crowes' - How to Pass the PMP on your "first" Try (should have read this the first time)
Joined pmhub.net and headfirstlabs.com forums - this was the most helpful especially reading everyone's LL and feedback for what they experienced in the exam

Simulation exams I found most helpful because they breakdown the knowledge areas that you should focus on and explanations:

Headfirst 200 simulation exam - this is a little easy compared to the real exam
PMFinal - this is very similar to the real exam
PMStudy - 1,2,3, and 4 - very good explanations to incorrect answers
PassPM 200 simulation - great test also

Other simulators I took:

Oliver Lehmann 75 - this is good, but does not give you an explanation

Day of the exam

I had to be there at 1:30, I read a couple of test taking tips, that said NOT to study on the last day and to relax, eat a good breakfast,...and although I tried hard to follow directions,..I just couldn't do it! I studied until almost 2 this morning because I realized that I was terrible at Human Resources too!!! I started to panic!! I tossed and turned all night, woke up and my husband told me that I was talking in my sleep! He made me some breakfast that I had difficulty swallowing!!
The testing center was about 45 mins away and on the way there, the sensor in the car said "FLAT TIRE"! I called my husband because I thought it was just bad luck, but the sensor was lying, I was fine :P . When I got there, I studied a little bit more, and when I felt that I couldn't take anymore, I walked in to sign in. I sat down and it was so familiar from almost 4 weeks ago, the feeling in my stomach and the tension rising. Took a deep breath and did a couple of breathing techniques!!! The 15 minute introduction came on and I used the 4 page scratch paper and filled it up with everything that was in my head.

The following are the items that are a MUST!!

-Earned Value formula's
-Net Present Value
-Tools and Techniques
-Inputs/Outputs weren't that big of a deal to memorize, but of course you have to understand the knowledge areas
-Delegation
-Know your administrative/contract closure stuff
-Conflict resolution/problem solving techniques
-Understanding PMI-isms are extremely important!!! I think this is why I failed the first time. You can't go in with the experience that you have in your current job.
-Procurement-understanding the contracts (who has the most risk)...
-Overall, there were a LOT of situational questions....

I was finished in about 2hrs. I skipped about 10 questions and marked about 50 for review. Went back to the skipped questions first, then the "marked for review". If you are unsure about your answer, definitely mark it for review, I changed about 1/3 of my initial answers.

***note: For the questions that I answered but "marked for review", I found as I was going thru the test, a lot of the answers for questions that I was unsure about were in other questions. So, if you are unsure, DEFINITELY mark the question and write them down.

3 hrs into the test, I stretched and walked a bit, sat back down and skimmed thru ALL the questions. I still had 35 minutes left and my tummy started turning. I couldn't take anymore and I hit "END EXAM"! I did the survey and that magical word appeared,.."CONGRATULATIONS"!!! I could NOT believe it! I've never been so happy to see that word! There were a couple of people in there taking other exams and I think that they heard me make a little high pitched squeal because I was so choked up. I grabbed up my stuff and walked out the door to get my print out.

So anyhow, I just wanted to thank all of the folks that posted their LL on passing the PMP! I hope to be able to contribute to those that plan on taking the test with my overall experience. So thank you all again, and good-luck!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had suggested this to one of my friend. It works!!
He passed with 69% marks.

Total effort in Plan: 35 days

Make sure you can spare at least 3+ hours a day for next 24 days
And 8+ hours for last 11 days before you attempt the exam.

Register with PMI:

Go to http://www.pmi.org/

Select "Global Membership & Communities-->Membership-->Individual --> Online", Membership fee is $119. As part of membership, you will receive PMBOK Guide from PMI
Also get a copy of Rita Mulcahy’s PMP exam prep book.

Apply for the certification exam
Select "Professional Development and Careers-->Certification Program-->Online Application"

You need to do this now as you may get a slot only after 30-40 days depending on the availability. Exam fee is $405 for members. Your preferred exam date should be 35+ days from now.

Register for a PMP Exam Prep 4 day course on 25th day from now.

Start Preparation:

There are 12 chapters in PMBOK
Read one chapter two times in a day for next 12 days
First read ITTO (Inputs - Tools & Techniques - Outputs), next read and understand each item in detail.
ITTOs are very important, Logically understand and Memorize all ITTOs, you will get many questions on that.

Now start reading Rita Mulcahy’s PMP exam prep book in parallel with PMBOK
This book has all the needed basic concepts in detail with scenarios, exercises and practice questions. Since you are now familiar with the PMBOK, you will start understanding the concepts in depth. This may take another 12 days.

This is not sufficient to attempt the exam. Remember that you need to follow PMBOK as bible. No mugging or guess work will help. All you need is through understanding of concepts and good buffered Short Term memory.

To boost your short term memory, I would suggest you to take a PMP Fast Track Exam preparation course. This will help you grasp all the chapters in 4 days and also you will get the much needed 35 PDUs certificate which is an entry criteria for the exam.

Now you will have increased confidence level to attempt the exam.
Take off from your work and other commitments for next one week and start preparing for the exam. By this time you would have realized your gaps and week areas. Start paying more attention to difficult areas. Revise, Revise and Revise. Attempt practice questions on difficult areas like Project Integration Mgmt, Time Management, and Cost Management etc.

Keep cool mind on exam day, relax, don’t stress yourself as you will need 100% of you mind to work at its optimum speed continuously for 4 hours.

All the best!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Labels: PMP Certification Exam Preparation


Saturday, July 7, 2007
PMP Exam Prep: Taking The Exam
Anticipate that many questions will have multiple correct answers. It is your challenge to pick the best answer based on how PMI outlines the situation should be handled. Remember to answer questions from PMI s perspective, not from your real-life experience. Think, What does PMI say I should I do? rather than What s worked in the past?

The actual exam allows you to mark any question for later review. Plan on making several passes through all 200 questions of the exam. Double-check yourself on questions that you are unsure of your answer. During the initial pass through the exam, mark any question that you are not 100% sure of the answer. On the second pass, review all the marked questions.

You may discover that the answer to a given question is detailed out in another question or answer throughout the exam. During the exam, as the test taker, you will need to manage your exam time. 200 questions in four hours (240 minutes) = 1.2 minutes per question. Some questions will be as easy as 15 seconds; others may take 3 4 minutes. You are not required to immediately take the exam when you sit down at the computer terminal. Use this time to gather your thoughts and pmp certification prepare your reference sheet. Write down all formulas, diagrams, and pmp certification information that will assist you with the exam. This allows you to clear your thoughts and pmp certification focus better as you begin the exam.

When you begin the exam process, you will initially be provided a tutorial of how to use the terminal and pmp certification how to take the exam. If you feel comfortable with the information, you can pass over this tutorial quickly and pmp certification begin the exam. Pace yourself and pmp certification be sure to read all four answers completely. Do not just choose the first potentially correct answer you see, there may be a More right / Most right answer available. Take breaks throughout the exam. You have 4 hours for the exam, you need to complete at least 50 questions per hour and pmp certification allot for periodic breaks to allow yourself to regain focus and pmp certification rest. Question content is something to pay close attention too. Practice exam questions provide valuable insight into actual exam questions. There will be several types of questions to be cognizant of:

Situational questions
Conceptual
Time-consuming questions
Fill-in-the-blank and pmp certification other factual-type questions
Select the exception from the four possible answers
Short stories
Calculations and pmp certification /or draw simple diagrams.

In our estimation, around 75% of the exam questions come directly from the PMBOK Guide. The remaining questions are derived from other reference materials and pmp certification real-world situations. Solid common project sense should help you in answering these.

Some key exam topics you won t find in the PMBOK but should understand are: Conflict-resolution techniques, Organizational theories, Problem-solving Techniques and pmp certification Theories of motivation. Before the exam begins, you have fifteen minutes to do the tutorial. I used this time before the exam to do a memory dump of the formulas. The tutorial is straightforward on marking questions, reviewing questions and pmp certification how to view exhibits.
Usually, the examination center will give you time to write down things, get your thought clear and pmp certification then you begin the tutorial.

Take few minutes to do the memory dump.

If the question contains diagrams, tables or other numbers used in calculations, copy these down completely on your scratch paper before beginning the development of the solution. Number your notes and pmp certification diagrams (the exam calls these exhibits) on the scratch paper and pmp certification use it in an orderly fashion, later to facilitate checking. Often the exhibit used in one section of the exam will be used in another section.

Keep a close eye on the way a question is phrased. The exam has lots of which is the correct answer EXCEPT. Usually the questions will highlight this (i.e. word EXCEPT or BUT)

Be very careful of questions framed in the double negative ( None of the following are true EXCEPT . ). Re-phase these questions (if necessary, write the rephrased question down on your scratch paper and pmp certification number it) to eliminate both negatives ( which of the following is true ).

Use the calculator for all but the most elementary calculations. If you have enough time re-calculate your calculations -- again using the calculator. It is amazing how often, in the pressure of the examination 1+1 = 3 by mistake.

Make note of questions that have exhibits, or calculations these are often referred to in later questions and pmp certification open question will give you a clue.

Remember to answer all questions! If you miss a question, when the exam hits review it will flag questions you missed.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Labels: PMP Certification Exam Preparation


PMP Exam Prep: Building a Study Plan
Begin with the end in mind: Estimate the amount of time you need to prepare for the exam and to schedule for the PMP Certification Test. If you need 8 weeks to prepare, schedule your exam for 8 weeks from today and pmp certification work to meet your deadline. This helps ensure your focus.

Build a plan: Figure out how many hours per day you can dedicate to preparing for the PMP Exam, and pmp certification stick with it. Allocate blocks of time for studying on the weekends.

Form study groups: Learning in teams can be beneficial for everyone, if it is focused study.

Learn in Chunks or Sections; don t try to capture it all at once.

Learn to Mind Map: The human mind makes a connection each time your pen and pmp certification paper meet. In conjunction with this, the visual makings of a mind map will help keep information fresh in your minds eye.

Brain Dumps: When you arrive at the testing center, before you take the actual PMP Exam, perform a brain dump. This is an activity where you use the scratch paper provided to write out all of the exam notes you ve committed to memory. In order to do this at the testing center, you must practice it daily. I recommend focusing on the calculations and pmp certification formulas.

Practice Exams at the end of each chapter or section. Each day I did a set 50-200 questions after a chapter. The following day I reviewed weak areas. I found the more questions and pmp certification answers that I did, the better prepared and pmp certification more comfortable I was.

Cramming before test day: I took one week off before writing the exam to review and pmp certification cram for the exam It was slow getting into a study mode but once I applied myself, it seems to be the best study method for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Labels: PMP Certification Exam Preparation

PMP Exam Prep: Develop A Study Strategy
Use the exam simulator at www.readysetpass.com to gauge your learning efforts. By knowing what your scores are, you can focus on the areas you need the most work on. I did lots questions before and pmp certification after a knowledge area, worked on weaker or questionable questions. This teaches you to read the questions carefully Sometimes you see a common or re-occurring theme.

If you are a visual learner write things down as you study. I created terms, glossaries and pmp certification definitions by writing it helped me remember things

Create flashcards with important project management processes, terms and pmp certification equations. On one side of the card put the term and pmp certification on the other side write the equation. When I had time, I would thumb through the cards. It was not important to memorize all the terms, since the test is multiple choice. However, you must be prepared to recognize the definition, or a variant of the definition, as well as how and pmp certification when you might apply it.

Learn what is required to pass the PMP test. You may have techniques and pmp certification processes that work better than the PMI way, but for the purposes of passing the test, it is the PMI way that matters.

The more experience you have as a veteran project manager the more difficult you will find the exam. The reason is best answer. Experience or personal best practices tell you one thing, where the PMI approach may be slightly different. This doesn t mean you re not a qualified PM, but it can skew your exam scores. Always answer the PMP Exam questions from PMI s perspective.

Know the inputs, tools and pmp certification techniques

Do not be afraid, the exam is not that hard if you know the material from the PMI perspective!

Bottom line, the exam is not impossible, just detail oriented. You must also forget some of your project management experience and pmp certification know the PMI way. Read the whole question, and pmp certification look at all the answers. When I got done, and pmp certification saw the score, I took a deep breath & reflected that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Following are of Adult Learning techniques you may adopt for pmp certification:
1. Active Learning
2. Accelerated Learning
3. Memorization
4. Chunking
5. Motivation
6. Mind Mapping
7. Brain Dump



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Labels: PMP Certification Exam Preparation


Wednesday, July 4, 2007
Lessons Learned From PMP Certification Exam
There are many methods for you to prepare for the grueling 4 hour PMP Exam. I have listed a few of the most successful here:

1. PMP Exam Prep Classes: These courses are specifically designed to fill your mind with the knowledge required to pass the test. Typically a more expensive route, but very effective at helping you clear the PMP Exam. Most of these courses qualify for contact hours or PDU s, which can be used on your application with PMI.

2. Self-Paced Study efforts: There are numerous books and pmp certification materials out there to assist you in preparing for the PMP Exam. Self-paced study happens on your schedule and progress at your individual pace. Individualized programs enable the majority of people to complete the material more quickly. In addition, it also allows slower learners to set a pace commensurate with their learning speed. In a traditional training program, all participants are usually required to go through the material at the same time and pmp certification pace. Self-paced Learning gives students a chance to speed up or slow down as necessary. Make sure that the product you buy is aligned to PMBOK. www.readysetpass.com is a great place to start. The PMP Success Study Guide is PMBOK aligned, easy to comprehend and pmp certification very exam focused and also includes great exam tips.

3. Practice Exams: Practicing against simulated PMP Exam Questions is one of the best ways to prepare for the actual exam. Completing multiple practice exams gives the learner an opportunity to better understand the exam layout, types of questions and pmp certification pace of the exam. There will be 200 questions over 4 hours equals roughly 1.2 minutes per question. You have to learn to gauge your exam pace.

Many people use a predictor. To do this, make columns on a sheet, one for 90%, one for 50% and pmp certification one for 25%. If you know the answer to a question with little or no doubt, put a mark under 90% column, if you think you know the answer to a question, but there may be an alternate correct answer, put a mark under the 50% column, if you have to guess at the answer, place a mark in the 25% column. At the end of the exam total up the 90% marks say you have 114 * .90 = 104. Similarly for 50% say 60 marks under the 50% column, 60* .50 = 30. Finally total number of marks under 25%, in this example 26 * .25 = 6.5. 104 + 30 + 6.5 = 140 (pass)

As you practice against the sample questions adjust these. If your predictor is consistently high say 180% and pmp certification you are scoring lower change the ratios. For me I find 80%, 50% formula works was the best predictor. You can do these calculations in your head.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Labels: PMP Certification Exam Preparation


PMP Exam Preparation - Best Practices
The PMBok is difficult to understand and lacks concrete examples. Hence I first start with Rita Mulcahy’s PMP exam prep book and then read Kim Heldman’s project management professional study guide.

Mulcahy’s book is more geared towards the examination but does not cover ITTO (Input, Tools, Techniques, Outputs), this is well-covered in Heldman’s book. These 2 books complement each other and provide much greater understanding than the PMBok guide.

The online forum pmhub.net is the most helpful web site for studying PMP. It contains plenty of exam advices from other PMP exam takers, along with Jim Owens’ study notes which discuss a variety of topics that typically appears on the exam.

For practices questions use the 2 books along with oliverlehmann.com and headfirstlabs.com. It is absolutely critical to practice many situational questions & memorize the ITTOs for the exam.

**********************************************************

1.If you schedule a test on a particular day, take it at that day. Don’t postpone it. Even till the last day you will not feel comfortable to give the test because the questions are not restricted to PMBOK. This is fine. Everybody feels that way. Take the chance and give it. You will not regret.
2. To pass the exam, good books to read are PMBOK and PMP Exam prep from Rita Mulcahy. (You can also have a glossary look at Risk Management from Rita Mulcahy)
3. In the last week before the exam, try to work on question and answers from Rita’s book and PMP FastTrack CD.
4. Don’t expect any direct questions on Earned value measurements. They may give you CPI and AC and ask you to calculate EAC. So you may first need to apply formula to find EV and then apply it to EAC formula. You can score pretty easily in the questions involving mathematical calculations.
5. I didn’t get any questions in calculating Critical Path method.
6. Research and find topics on calculating Net Present value (NPV) in internet. Though I did not get any questions on this, Couple of my friends got some questions on calculating NPV and PV
7. Don’t forget to read PMBOK guide’s Glossary.
8. I felt “Quality Management” questions a bit confusing. (having more than one right answer)
9. To get PMI concepts in my head, it took me 3 times reading PMBOK and PMP Exam Prep book from Rita Mulcahy.
10. PMP FastTrack CD by Rita is a good source for practicing questions. Answering the questions in the CD will let you think in PMI way.
11. PMP is not that difficult as people portray it. It requires some amount of time in reading PMBOK and Rita’s books and getting concepts in your head and thinking in PMI way(PM FastTrack CD will really help). I spent around 6-7 weeks learing 2-3 hrs per day for preparing for the exam.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Hello all,

I am pleased to inform you that I have passed PMP exam on 10 Dec 2007. I studied in 3 iterations. Here is my Lesson's Learned. Hope this can help someone who is planning to take this exam.

1st Iteration
1. Read one chapter in Rita and the same in PMBOK.
2. Took Fastrack for each chapter after completion.

2nd Iteration
1. Read PMBOK chapters and refer Rita if required. Because by this time I was able to appreciate PMBOK content.
2. I also got HeadFirst PMP book and read quite a few chapters, it helped me visualizing many things and ofcourse get few new techniques to calculate EV, BAC to mention a few.
3. I joined a couple of forums Headfirst PMP (hxxp://www.headfirstlabs.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=Cool and PMPhub.net. I found few new things like calculating PTA and different peoples lessons learnt.

4. After completion 2nd iteration I took PMP exam from Fastrack and got 72%. I reviewed all questions and filled up my gaps. After two days again I took another PMP exam from fastrck and got 83%.

5. Next day I took the free exam from PMStudy.com (Sim1) and got 65%. I was very dissapointed with the score and searched in the net to find out how others have scored but no one has given this information. Later I realized that the questions are all different terms and concepts. which I think is very tough to score a high marks. But it did a good thing as it guided me to read PMBOK one more time keeping terms and concepts in mind.

6. Read PMHUB's Raj Rani's notes. (hxxp://www.pmhub.net/files/PMHUB_Study_Notes_V6/PMHUB-SNV6_%20Prad_Raj%20Rani_2.doc). This gave me the overall picture in a very short period of time. say within a day.
7. Took Oliver F. Lehmann's 75 (I got 65%) and then 175 (I got 73%) Questions (PDF version). hxxp://www.oliverlehmann.com/pmp-self-test/75-free-questions.htm. I found this to be really useful and very close to the real exam. Reviewed the questions and worked on the gaps. (DO This!! Its really important).

3rd Iteration: (finished in last 3 days)

1. Read PMBOK but this time for different terms and concepts which I overlooked otherwise. Reffered Headfirst and Rita for some confusing terms and detailed explaination. Also, read Code of conduct.
2. The day before the exam I watched two movies (back to back) and India Pakistan match. I feel this is exteremely important because it gives our mind to settle down what we have learnt from one month.
3. I tried to sleep well but I could not because of the exam tension. Got up early and head off to the exam center (ofcourse after the delicious breakfast prepared by my Mom).
4. The exam center was very calm and I could finish the exam in 3 and half hours. The last half an hour I reviewed my questions but rarely changed my selected answers.
5. Clicked the End Exam button and those few moments were killing. I thanked my god, my parents and my well wishers after seeing the "Congralulations" on the screen.

Tip: Read delegation chapters from

CODE
hxxp://www.builderau.com.au/strategy/projectmanagement/soa/When-delegation-becomes-a-problem/0,339028292,320277493,00.htm
hxxp://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/soft-skills/project-management-training-part7.html
hxxp://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39205929,00.htm
hxxp://pmcrunch.com/soft_skills/a-fresh-look-at-delegation-10-ideas-for-action/
hxxp://www.slackermanager.com/2006/01/management-hack-the-sweet-spot-of-delegation.html


And if you are PMI member read this one (Vijay Verma’s “The Human Aspects of Project Management - Human Resource Skills for the Project Manager” for Motivation, Conflict and Communication.)
Link:

CODE
hxxp://pmi.books24x7.com/viewer.asp?bookid=1351&chunkid=999152152 (you may need to login using your PMI ID and then paste the above link)


I have made document with above links. You can download it from here.


CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/76021161/PM_Collection.rar.html